Chapter One Events has a zero tolerance policy for harassment of any sort.
To report an incident of harassment, please speak to a Chapter One Events volunteer (denoted by a “volunteer” name badge at in-person events), or message us on Twitter or via email at:
- Chapter One Young Writers Conference (accounts monitored by Ch1Con director and organization vice president Emma Rose Ryan)
- Chapter Twenty-One Conference (accounts monitored by Ch21Con director and organization president Julia Byers)
This policy is in effect for all organization-sponsored events, including but not limited to the Chapter One Young Writers Conference, the Chapter Twenty-One Conference, the Ch1Con Yule Ball, the Chapter One Events Mentorship Program, and any live chats and/or virtual write-ins hosted by members of the Chapter One Events team.
Harassment, by this definition, includes but is not limited to harmful behaviors such as:
- Unwanted physical contact
- Unwanted physical attention
- Unwelcome visual communication
- Unwanted comments, verbal or otherwise
- Offensive comments, verbal or otherwise
- Non-consensual photography or recording of any kind
- Physical assault and/or battery
- Intimidation, physical, verbal, or otherwise
- Bathroom policing
These behaviors may or may not be in relation to:
- Race or ethnicity
- Gender identity or presentation
- Sexual orientation
- Body size
If someone portrays harmful behavior, Chapter One Events volunteers reserve the right to take prompt action in any form they deem appropriate, including but not limited to expulsion from the applicable Chapter One Events-sponsored event as well as a lifetime ban from future events.
This policy applies to everyone at Chapter One Events-sponsored events, including but not limited to attendees, speakers, vendors, and volunteers.
Anyone can report harassment, whether or not you are the person directly being harassed. If someone’s behavior makes you uncomfortable, or you witness unwanted behavior happening to someone else, please immediately contact the Chapter One Events team. If necessary, we will happily contact law enforcement, offer a safe place, or otherwise assist those experiencing harassment to ensure they are safe and feel comfortable.
Chapter One Events strives to maintain a safe, welcoming, and accepting environment at all organization-sponsored events. Please keep your hands to yourself and be respectful of other attendees, speakers, vendors, and volunteers, so that we may all have a good time nerding out about writing and books together.
Sound good? Good.
The Chapter One Events Team