The Chapter One Events team is absolutely thrilled to announce our keynote speaker for the 2018 Chapter One Young Writers Conference and inaugural Chapter Twenty-One Conference: Gloria Chao!
Gloria Chao is an MIT graduate turned dentist turned writer. She currently lives in Chicago with her ever-supportive husband for whom she became a nine-hole golfer (sometimes seven). She is always up for Dance Dance Revolution, cooperative board games, or spontaneous dance parties. She was also once a black belt in kung-fu and a competitive dancer, but that side of her was drilled and suctioned out. Visit her tea-and-book-filled world at GloriaChao.Wordpress.com.
Gloria is the acclaimed author of young adult contemporary novel American Panda and the upcoming Misaligned.
Gloria will be giving the keynote address at both Ch1Con and Ch21Con, as well as speaking on the conferences’ combined ask anything panel.
Find Gloria Online:
Check out Gloria’s Books:
Haven’t registered to attend one of our 2018 conferences yet? You can do so by clicking the following links:
Chapter One Young Writers Conference (ages 11-20)
Chapter Twenty-One Conference (ages 21-29)
– The Ch1Events Team
P.S. Our full conference lineup and session descriptions are now live over on our schedule page!
We are thrilled today to announce the winners of our second annual Chapter One Events Poetry & Short Fiction Contest! All winning entries will appear in our 2018 contest e-book anthology, which will be available for purchase in mid-July.
You’ll note in the contest results below that we don’t necessarily award a full set of winners for each category. This is because we believe in rewarding quality over quantity, so we’ve limited our winners to only those entries we find fitting of this distinction. (Basically this means, if you won something, it’s because we really love you.)
Now, without further ado: drum roll please………
Ch1Con (Ages 11-20)
- First Place: “Visions” by Miranda Sun
- Second Place: “Mountain” by Emily Woods
- Honorable Mentions: “Away with You” by Miranda Sun and “Looking Forward to Nineteen” by Emily Woods
Short Fiction Winners
- First Place: “The Rosewyvern’s Curse” by Emily Woods
- Second Place: “We’ve Hit an Iceberg” by Kori Johnson
Ch21Con (Ages 21-29)
Short Fiction Winner
- First Place: “The New Corpse” by H. L. Cassel
Thank you to all who entered the contest! We really enjoyed reading your entries and we hope you’ll enter again next year. And a HUGE congratulations to our winners!! All our winners this year will receive discounted admission to the relevant conference, as well as one free copy of the 2018 contest e-book anthology–which, again, will be available for purchase in mid-July.
Now go celebrate!
–The Ch1Events Team
How did January last 5,000 years yet April passed in 0.5 seconds?
Nevertheless, we’re excited to be hosting our usual two free, online events for you this month. All writers are welcome at these events, regardless of age. We can’t wait to see you at them!
Thursday, May 10th at 8:00 PM Eastern: Twitter Chat
The topic of our Twitter chat this month is Pinterest for writers. Join us using #Ch21Con to answer our questions and talk with other writers!
Saturday, May 19th from 7:00 to 10:00 PM Eastern: Virtual Write-In
Join us to write (and procrastinate) at any point you’re available during the evening. Link to the chat room: http://us20.chatzy.com/14331761737469
– The Ch21Con Team
P.S. Don’t forget to follow our spring blog tour, which includes lots of cool insights into our inaugural conference, writing advice, and giveaways!
Hey, everybody! We’re thrilled to announce the 2018 Ch1Con & Ch21Con Blog Tour!
We put together this annual blog tour to share info and fun, behind-the-scenes facts about the Chapter One Young Writers Conference and new Chapter Twenty-One Conference (and to give away some awesome prizes, of course). The 2018 blog tour will kick off on Sunday, April 15 and conclude towards the end of May. Follow the tour for guest posts, interviews by the Chapter One Events team–and, of course, giveaways!
Check out the schedule below:
- Sunday, April 15: www.ch1con.tumblr.com
- New Ch1Con director Emma Rose Ryan talks about taking over as director
- GIVEAWAY: Short fiction critique by 2018 speaker and Ch21Con team member, Allison Mulder!
- Wednesday, April 18: www.allisonthewriter.wordpress.com
- Allison Rose hosts a guest post by Ch21Con team member Liam Wood, about self-editing
- Monday, April 23: www.ultimatelyuselessstories.com
- Ch21Con team member Katelyn Pettit talks about mental health for writers
- Friday, April 27: www.avajae.blogspot.com
- Ava Jae hosts a guest post by Ch21Con team member Ariel Kalati, about #OwnVoices and diversity
- Tuesday, May 1: www.robynhoode.wordpress.com
- Ch21Con team member Katie Nichols interviews fellow team member Ariel Kalati
- Saturday, May 5: www.kirabrighton.weebly.com
- Kira Brighton interviews Ch21Con team member Katelyn Pettit
- Wednesday, May 9: www.anniesullivanauthor.wordpress.com
- Annie Sullivan hosts a guest post by Ch21Con team member Katie Nichols about writing characters with magic
- GIVEAWAY: SIGNED hardcover copy of The Cruel Prince by Holly Black!
- Friday, May 11: www.charlottegerber.wordpress.com
- Charlotte Gerber hosts a blog post giving an overview of the 2018 conferences
- Monday, May 14: Joan He’s Newsletter, Looseleaf
- Joan He talks about the 2018 conferences in her writerly newsletter. Click here to subscribe!
- Saturday, May 19: www.juliathewritergirl.com
- Ch21Con director Julia Byers interviews Ch1Con team member Brett Jonas and 2018 speaker and Ch21Con team member Allison Mulder
- GIVEAWAY: $25 Barnes & Noble gift card!
We can’t wait to share the tour with you, and hope to see you in Chicago at Ch1Con and Ch21Con 2018!
– The Chapter One Events Team
The Chapter One Events team is extraordinarily excited to announce our sixth speaker for the 2018 Chapter One Young Writers Conference and inaugural Chapter Twenty-One Conference: Amanda Foody!
Amanda Foody has always considered imagination to be our best attempt at magic. After spending her childhood longing to attend Hogwarts, she now loves to write about immersive settings and characters grappling with insurmountable destinies. She holds a Masters in Accountancy from Villanova University, and a Bachelors of Arts in English Literature from the College of William and Mary. Currently, she works as a tax accountant in Philadelphia, PA, surrounded by her many siblings and many books.
She is the author of Daughter of the Burning City and The Shadow Game series. The first installment, Ace of Shades, released in April 2018. (Just this week, actually!)
Amanda will be co-leading writing workshops with Christine Lynn Herman at both Ch1Con and Ch21Con, as well as speaking on the conferences’ combined ask anything panel. Plus, in honor of speaking at the conferences, Amanda is thrilled to give away a signed copy of Daughter of the Burning City!
Just click the link below to enter the raffle. We’ll leave it open for one week!
Find Amanda online:
Check out Amanda’s books:
Thanks for joining us for 2018 conference speaker reveals all week! Reminder that we don’t have all of our speakers for the 2018 conferences solidified yet, so keep an eye on our websites for the announcements of our final speakers in the coming weeks!
– The Ch1Events Team