The Chapter One Events team is over-the-moon to announce our keynote speaker for the 2019 Chapter One Young Writers Conference and Chapter Twenty-One Conference: YA author Francesca Zappia!
Francesca Zappia lives in Indiana and graduated from the University of Indianapolis with a degree in Computer Science and Mathematics. When she’s not writing, she’s reading, cooking, or playing video games. She was chosen as the 2017 Emerging Author at the Indiana Authors Awards, and her second novel, Eliza and Her Monsters, was chosen as a Kirkus Best Teen Book of 2017, a Junior Library Guild Selection, and was among the Top 10 of the YALSA 2018 Best Fiction for Young Adults list.
You can find her on Twitter and Instagram @ChessieZappia, and on her website, www.francescazappia.com.
Chessie will be giving the keynote addresses at both Ch1Con and Ch21Con, discussing how to keep sight of our reasons for creating stories, and how to harness those reasons. She will also be speaking on the conferences’ combined ask anything panel and signing books at the end of the day.
(If you’re a Ch1Con alumnus, you might remember Chessie leading workshops and speaking on the ask anything panel at our 2016 conference!)
Plus, in honor of speaking, Chessie has generously offered to give away a signed paperback copy of her amazing sophomore book, Eliza and Her Monsters! Just click the link below to enter the raffle. We’ll leave it open for one week!
Find Chessie online:
Find Chessie’s books on GoodReads:
Interested in attending one of our young writers’ conferences on June 29 in Des Plaines, IL (a suburb of Chicago)? You can learn more at:
We’ve got another amazing speaker or two to announce as well in the lead-up to the 2019 conferences, so keep an eye on our websites and social media for more speaker announcements coming your way soon!!
– The Ch1Events Team
We’re thrilled to announce that registration for the 2019 Chapter Twenty-One Conference is officially open!
The conference will take place Saturday, June 29th, 2019 at the Hilton Garden Inn – Chicago O’Hare in Des Plaines, Illinois. It will include workshops, two panels, a lunchtime pizza party, trivia (with prizes!), and all kinds of other good stuff. Attendance is open to any writers who will be between the ages of 21 and 29 as of June 29th, 2019. (If you’ll be between the ages of 11 and 20, check out our sister conference, the Chapter One Young Writers Conference!)
Register early (now through the end of April) to get our special Early Bird Admission rate of $74.99 (lunch included)! Registration is available at:
Interested in who this year’s speakers are? Keep an eye on the blog, because we’ll be announcing the speakers very soon! (And registered attendees will get a sneakpeek!)
Spots are limited to attend the conference, so make sure to register before they’re gone!
We’re so excited for the 2019 conference (and hope you are too)! See you in June!
— The Ch21Con Team
The Chapter One Events team is absolutely thrilled to announce our keynote speaker for the 2018 Chapter One Young Writers Conference and inaugural Chapter Twenty-One Conference: Gloria Chao!
Gloria Chao is an MIT graduate turned dentist turned writer. She currently lives in Chicago with her ever-supportive husband for whom she became a nine-hole golfer (sometimes seven). She is always up for Dance Dance Revolution, cooperative board games, or spontaneous dance parties. She was also once a black belt in kung-fu and a competitive dancer, but that side of her was drilled and suctioned out. Visit her tea-and-book-filled world at GloriaChao.Wordpress.com.
Gloria is the acclaimed author of young adult contemporary novel American Panda and the upcoming Misaligned.
Gloria will be giving the keynote address at both Ch1Con and Ch21Con, as well as speaking on the conferences’ combined ask anything panel.
Find Gloria Online:
Check out Gloria’s Books:
Haven’t registered to attend one of our 2018 conferences yet? You can do so by clicking the following links:
Chapter One Young Writers Conference (ages 11-20)
Chapter Twenty-One Conference (ages 21-29)
– The Ch1Events Team
P.S. Our full conference lineup and session descriptions are now live over on our schedule page!
We are thrilled today to announce the winners of our second annual Chapter One Events Poetry & Short Fiction Contest! All winning entries will appear in our 2018 contest e-book anthology, which will be available for purchase in mid-July.
You’ll note in the contest results below that we don’t necessarily award a full set of winners for each category. This is because we believe in rewarding quality over quantity, so we’ve limited our winners to only those entries we find fitting of this distinction. (Basically this means, if you won something, it’s because we really love you.)
Now, without further ado: drum roll please………
Ch1Con (Ages 11-20)
- First Place: “Visions” by Miranda Sun
- Second Place: “Mountain” by Emily Woods
- Honorable Mentions: “Away with You” by Miranda Sun and “Looking Forward to Nineteen” by Emily Woods
Short Fiction Winners
- First Place: “The Rosewyvern’s Curse” by Emily Woods
- Second Place: “We’ve Hit an Iceberg” by Kori Johnson
Ch21Con (Ages 21-29)
Short Fiction Winner
- First Place: “The New Corpse” by H. L. Cassel
Thank you to all who entered the contest! We really enjoyed reading your entries and we hope you’ll enter again next year. And a HUGE congratulations to our winners!! All our winners this year will receive discounted admission to the relevant conference, as well as one free copy of the 2018 contest e-book anthology–which, again, will be available for purchase in mid-July.
Now go celebrate!
–The Ch1Events Team
Hey, everybody! We’re thrilled to announce the 2018 Ch1Con & Ch21Con Blog Tour!
We put together this annual blog tour to share info and fun, behind-the-scenes facts about the Chapter One Young Writers Conference and new Chapter Twenty-One Conference (and to give away some awesome prizes, of course). The 2018 blog tour will kick off on Sunday, April 15 and conclude towards the end of May. Follow the tour for guest posts, interviews by the Chapter One Events team–and, of course, giveaways!
Check out the schedule below:
- Sunday, April 15: www.ch1con.tumblr.com
- New Ch1Con director Emma Rose Ryan talks about taking over as director
- GIVEAWAY: Short fiction critique by 2018 speaker and Ch21Con team member, Allison Mulder!
- Wednesday, April 18: www.allisonthewriter.wordpress.com
- Allison Rose hosts a guest post by Ch21Con team member Liam Wood, about self-editing
- Monday, April 23: www.ultimatelyuselessstories.com
- Ch21Con team member Katelyn Pettit talks about mental health for writers
- Friday, April 27: www.avajae.blogspot.com
- Ava Jae hosts a guest post by Ch21Con team member Ariel Kalati, about #OwnVoices and diversity
- Tuesday, May 1: www.robynhoode.wordpress.com
- Ch21Con team member Katie Nichols interviews fellow team member Ariel Kalati
- Saturday, May 5: www.kirabrighton.weebly.com
- Kira Brighton interviews Ch21Con team member Katelyn Pettit
- Wednesday, May 9: www.anniesullivanauthor.wordpress.com
- Annie Sullivan hosts a guest post by Ch21Con team member Katie Nichols about writing characters with magic
- GIVEAWAY: SIGNED hardcover copy of The Cruel Prince by Holly Black!
- Friday, May 11: www.charlottegerber.wordpress.com
- Charlotte Gerber hosts a blog post giving an overview of the 2018 conferences
- Monday, May 14: Joan He’s Newsletter, Looseleaf
- Joan He talks about the 2018 conferences in her writerly newsletter. Click here to subscribe!
- Saturday, May 19: www.juliathewritergirl.com
- Ch21Con director Julia Byers interviews Ch1Con team member Brett Jonas and 2018 speaker and Ch21Con team member Allison Mulder
- GIVEAWAY: $25 Barnes & Noble gift card!
We can’t wait to share the tour with you, and hope to see you in Chicago at Ch1Con and Ch21Con 2018!
– The Chapter One Events Team
The Chapter One Events team is extraordinarily excited to announce our sixth speaker for the 2018 Chapter One Young Writers Conference and inaugural Chapter Twenty-One Conference: Amanda Foody!
Amanda Foody has always considered imagination to be our best attempt at magic. After spending her childhood longing to attend Hogwarts, she now loves to write about immersive settings and characters grappling with insurmountable destinies. She holds a Masters in Accountancy from Villanova University, and a Bachelors of Arts in English Literature from the College of William and Mary. Currently, she works as a tax accountant in Philadelphia, PA, surrounded by her many siblings and many books.
She is the author of Daughter of the Burning City and The Shadow Game series. The first installment, Ace of Shades, released in April 2018. (Just this week, actually!)
Amanda will be co-leading writing workshops with Christine Lynn Herman at both Ch1Con and Ch21Con, as well as speaking on the conferences’ combined ask anything panel. Plus, in honor of speaking at the conferences, Amanda is thrilled to give away a signed copy of Daughter of the Burning City!
Just click the link below to enter the raffle. We’ll leave it open for one week!
Find Amanda online:
Check out Amanda’s books:
Thanks for joining us for 2018 conference speaker reveals all week! Reminder that we don’t have all of our speakers for the 2018 conferences solidified yet, so keep an eye on our websites for the announcements of our final speakers in the coming weeks!
– The Ch1Events Team